Friday, July 10, 2009

Cliff's RPG Game Quest

(with apologies to Chris and his Survival Horror Quest)

We finally come to the video game review section of this blog. I've given it some thought over the (admittedly large) amount of time I've been preparing for this section. I think it might be best to create an entire website for this portion of my end of boredom. This approach would have the added benefit of allowing me to learn some website design as well. However, I'd like to get the first (and maybe the second) review up and see what I like and don't like about my plan before I buy web hosting.

First though, all quests must have some ground rules, and since the organization for this idea comes from Chris, I think it only appropriate that I take his rules and modify them to suit my needs.

Content Requirement

1) The game must be an RPG game. Since the definition of just what an RPG is, along with the fact that many games are 'slash' types of games (for example RPG/strategy, or action/RPG), I will further define just what an RPG is for the sake of my quest. An RPG is a game that has at least 2 of the following elements:

a) a leveling up mechanic. This can be the standard 'fight enemies, gain experience, when a plateau is reached, you achieve the next level'. This can also be something more non-standard such as 'defeat enemy x and receive an upgraded ability/health/status'. This requirement is purposely open ended to allow for a bit of variation and simply because I cannot foresee what game designers might possibly come up with in the future.

b) an exploration/story driven mechanic. This is critical. The defining feature of an RPG (at least in my opinon) is that it tells a story. RPG's are not played in an effort to show off your 'leet gamer skills', they are played for the experience and the puzzle solving aspect of the games.

c) a collection of items. This is not necessarily true of every RPG (although, I can't think of one in which it isn't), but I find it more fun when I am able to acquire new things and to progress my characters weapons and gear. This is also fun in more gear based games such as many of the Zelda adventures where you must acquire an item in an effort to further the game.

2) Chris has a system requirement, meaning he will only play games for consoles. I am not going to limit myself in that way however. Some of the best, classic RPG's are for computers and I don't want to exclude them.

a) This is the place to point out that I am choosing to play these games in the manner in which I find the most convenient. I am a big fan of emulation. I must point out however, that owning an emulated version of a game, without owning the actual game itself is illegal. I am able to put my hand on every game I intend to review, and those that I don't currently have will be purchased from Ebay before I begin to play them. This is critical in my opinion. I want the designers of the games that I am playing to know that I appreciate their hard work and efforts, and I want to encourage them to make more. However, I am a creature of convenience. I want to be able to put my games on my iphone and take them with me when I go, or to be able to play them on my computer so that I don't take up the TV from my girlfriend and children.

3) I also reserve the right to add games that I feel I want to play.

Ultimately the goal of this exercise is for me to have fun and categorize my thoughts and experiences, as well as play all of the RPG's I can get my hands on. All of this being said, the majority of traditional RPG's that can be played on my Iphone, will be played on my Iphone. It's nice to be able to take dragon warrior with you and play it between classes, or to play for a few minutes while waiting for somethingor someone. Games that require more precise movements, like Zelda, will more than likely be played on my computer, using a gamepad.

Perfect Game

I've neglected to mention until this point, that my intention is not only to complete these games, but to do so in a perfect way. I will be acquiring every item, completing every side quest, and achieving the highest level possibly in these games, and providing photographic proof of such a deed.

I will not be using strategy guides of any sort to the best of my ability. If there is something that I just can't get quite right however, I am willing to use them. They lower the amount of fun I have in most games though, so I will refrain to the best of my abilities. If a strategy guide is used though, it will most likely be from gamefaqs.com, unless otherwise noted.



Lastly, since I will primarily be using emulators, I must note that I will NOT be making use of any of an emulator's features that are not available to me in the normal game (other than taking screenshots).

The question arises, just what is a perfect game?

1) The highest level achievable in the game, will be achieved (for example, in Dragon Warrior 1, that level is 30).

2) All items will be obtained that are considered beneficial, unique, or have a special function or purpose. (For example, to be perfect, all of the items in final fantasy 1 that have a use in battle when using the item command, must obtained and kept). If an item is detrimental to the characters, it may be skipped (i.e. an item that is cursed).

3) The money limit must be reached (on games in which such a thing is possible, or at least reasonably possible).

4) All accolades, titles, bonuses, or anything else that can be acquired to show that a portion of a game has been completed, must be acquired.

5) In games in which a time limit is imposed in order to get the best ending possible, The game will be completed within that time limit, but also replayed in an effort to achieve the normally perfect game.

6) If a game has multiple endings, only the best one will be played for. I will not go back and acquire lesser endings, unless I feel one of the changes that occurs in the ending is significant.

Let the quest begin!

No comments: