Saturday, October 3, 2009

Review of "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown

Amazon

Quite frankly, I'm honestly surprised at how quickly I was able to finish this book. I ended up reading it in roughly 10 days. That includes time to do homework and to study for tests, as well as attend a Bucs game. I must admit, Dan Brown books do not necessarily stretch the old gray matter. However, given my schedule, I thought it would take a bit longer at the least. Perhaps it was because I got a digital copy of this book and was able to read it wherever I was in a much more portable format. I can't wait to get a kindle, I think that it will be even easier then to read on the go. First, I have to say that I don't like the cover of this book very much. Especially when compared to what they were advertising the cover to be prior to publication (as seen below). What gets me even more though, is the change of
name. This book was originally titled "The Solomon Key". After having completed the book, I believe that would have been a much more fitting title.

Synopsis

Professor of Symbology Robert Langdon is surprised by an early morning phone call from his best friend and replacement father figure. Peter Solomon wants Langdon to give a speech at the US Capitol building later that night. Langdon happens to have a speech prepared (presumeably for just such occasions!) and aggrees. When he arrives however, he learns that he has been told the entire truth, or even been told the truth at all. His friend, Peter, has been taken hostage, and the villian will only let him free if Peter can recover and interpret a pyramid which will guide him to the Ancient Mysteries. What follows is a search through Washington D.C. for a piece of esoteric freemasonry lore which will save his friends life.

Review

I've been a fan of Dan Brown's since Angels and Demons. This book...quite frankly let me down. The characters tended to be cardboard cut outs compared to early Brown efforts. I didn't feel the need for haste that he should have engendered in me. I didn't feel the attraction that may, or may not have been built between Langdon and Solomon's younger sister. The characters appeared to resemble an encyclopedia on their subject of interest rather than a facsimile of a living breathing person.

In addition, there was a twist in this story. One that the average reader could see coming from miles away. Being a fan of twists, this one let me down heavily. It was so obvious that I thought it to be a mere aspect of the story. When it was presented as a plot twist towards the end, I thought to myself 'that's it?' The denouement (thank you Mrs. Knots, my 7th grade english teacher) was far too long. I got bored about half way through, and with no further action to look forward to, nearly abandoned the novel. The final reveal as to just what the Ancient Mysteries were, was an extreme cop out. Instead of inventing his own mystical, great mystery to astound his readers...Brown used a tired old prop stand in, and attempted to throw a new light on it (poorly).

This isn't entirely a bad book though. The actual subject matter was great. I do enjoy being lectured to (to a point) and so many of the encyclopedic characters were not a total annoyance. The freemasonry is an interesting subject, and the idea of lost knowledge of the ages is a great plot device. Honestly though, there was no immediacy. No pope to elect with the main electors held captive. Peter was a relatively minor character, and the prospect of his death didn't make me feel badly for either him, or Langdon. Only for Mr. Brown in the end. 2/5...he gets points for the subject matter, but the lack of a real story formula hurts him. My advice Mr. Brown? Take a bit of time off from Langdon and explore another character concept. Langdon is great...but just how much trouble CAN a professor of symbology get into...hmm?

Up next for me? THE SCOURGE OF GOD! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Already started on it...but this one might take a while. I think I'd like to savor it...plus school is hitting me with at least 2 tests every week. I'm never going to take this many classes at once again :/

No comments: