Sunday, October 26, 2008

"The Protector's War"

So I did tackle the Protector's war. All of these S. M. Stirling books are so similar its not even funny. They are simply boring, yet irresistible to put down. I must also point out that its an enjoyable boring.

Perhaps a better way to put it is thus: I can't point to any single thing I enjoy in S.M. Stirling's writing, but he keeps me coming back for more on a regular basis. Towards the end of the Protector's War they captured the child of their arch-enemy, and I must say that I've been looking forward to reading more about whats going on with her and her friend Rudi.

I think this blog post is coming out incoherent because I have just recently gotten sick. It kinda sucks really.

Today was also my birthday and I got a bunch of new reading material along with some new computer parts. In terms of books I got: The Barnum Museum (a bunch of short stories...I'm becoming a short story collection whore), The Graveyard Book (the latest from Neil Gaiman, whom I believe to be the world's pre-eminent living author), Weaveworld by Clive Barker (Great premise to the story and I've been told I should try some clive barker stuff by different people), The Wind Up Bird Chronicle (promises to be really interesting. Japanese horror/sci fi. Not sure if i'm going to like it, but I hope so), and lastly Name of the Rose (by Umberto Eco. Cool setting, murder mystery, enough dry humor to make me happy and philosophy...I'm in heaven).

I must confess that my current book is already halfway completed (that being A Meeting at Corvallis). Like I said previously I'm really into whats going on with the captured child of the other team. Shouldn't be too much longer until I have a review of that book up.

After Corvallis, I am going to take a brief side trek (a side trek on a side trek!) and read "City of Ember". A children's book. I saw the movie with my kids and thought it was awesome so I'm going to read the book and see how cool it is. Following that I might either read an Agatha Christie book (And Then There Were None) or go back to the main series I am reading right now (the Penderagast Chronicles) and read "Still Life with Crows". Either way, I am going to take a brief break from Stirling. I like him a lot and these books are great...but I feel like my mind goes numb after too much Stirling. I don't understand why to be honest. At any rate...on with the reading!

No comments: