Saturday, November 29, 2008

"A Meeting At Corvallis"

I've completed "A Meeting At Corvallis". I must say, Stirling has really kicked things up a notch with the ending of that book. We finally see some action and intrigue on a personal level (as opposed to on a societal level with the grand wars that Stirling is so fond of). I'm completely enamored with Rudi and Mathilda. I must say, I'm a shipper. I want to see Rudi and Matti get together...although I'm not sure if it would be a wise move plot-wise.

Once again, this novel failed so horribly in the ways that all Stirling novels do. Lack of proofreading and editing are so obvious. A general lack of clarity in direction also seems to be a failing of Stirling's. Honestly though, I could knock this author down all day long, but that would be counter to my goals. While all the tangibles say 'Wow, S.M. Stirling is the ultimate suckage", all of the intangibles say that "S.M. Stirling is one of the pre-eminent alternative fiction writers in the world, and probably the best with the possible exception of Harry Turtledove". Yeah, yeah, I know. I don't understand either. Everything about this guy is so horrible yet I simply adore his stories. I will be so sad when I've finished with the Emberverse. Next up in the Emberverse is "The Sunrise Lands" which finally promises some magic and fantasy. That should liven things up for me just a bit.

I've also read and completed "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie. I honestly meant to grab "City of Ember", but misgrabbed, went on vacation and finished the Christie book in one day. None is a very short novel. The concepts held within are rather cliche in terms of finding the pepetrator and how the murders are being commited with seemingly no one around to commit them. I am however, assured that at the time this novel was written, the ideas were brand new and state of the art. I ran into a few issues with the 1950's English (as in, from England). Nothing too terrible. I honestly wasn't overly impressed with Christie all that much. I might read "Murder on the Orient Express" simply to get that classic out of the way, but other than that, I think I'm done with her.

Next up? Well, I'm already part of the way into "The Barnum Museum" by Steven Millhauser. Definately not a book for everyone, but I like it. Following that? By all rights I should start City of Ember. I WANT to start City of Ember. With The sunrise lands looking at me all pretty and shiny and new on my desk though? I might have to go with that.

In Bucs news: we are now 8-3. One more win and we will be the first NFC south team with back to back winning seasons. We play the Saints tomorrow. My computer project has taken a slight backseat to the rest of life. I knew it would happen honestly. Christmas came and all of the little childrens need Christmas presents. Also, I located a way to play D and D online. This blog might start to include some writing of my own creation if I sit down to DM some.

Finally: school is almost out, which means more reading time! :)

2 comments:

S.M. Stirling said...

Sorry to be horrible, but glad you're enjoying the books... 8-).

Cryptfiend said...

/sigh. It is not you, sir, who are horrible. I just...don't know how to put it. There are obvious editing mistakes with your works, but that's not your fault in the slightest.

Your stories are engaging and thought provoking (i mean, while your mechanism for technological breakdown might not end up being very accurate...it is a possibility that one day all of our machines might cease function and where would we be?). I find myself glued to them, and find it difficult to put them down.

However, if i were to describe to a friend 'gee, youve GOT to read these books by stirling.'...and the friend asked me 'well, why?'. I don't know as i could give a reason other than 'youve just got to. they are good'.

indeed, the way i was able to get a certain friend to read your books was to tell them about the premise (this friend is into end of the world zombie type stuff...and while she realizes that resident evil zombies arent going to happen...she does like to think about 'well, what would happen if technology decided to take a field day').

I stand by my comments: primarily i can't pick out anything good about your writing and hold it up to the world and say 'see this?! THIS is damn good shit'.

Having said that though, i am eternally grateful for your works, and look forward to the new ones when they come out. i see on various sources that it appears as though you are continuing to extend this series, and i am extremely happy about that.

i guess what im trying to say is: similar to the way that i cant pick out anything particularly good about your work...please realize that this seemingly negative post about your work is truly in awe of the majesty and the truly human feel of the characters you create. I really do love this series of books, and can't wait to get started on the "sky people" books (hopefully there will be more of those as well). I know my comments sound negative and discouraging...but their intention is the complete and total opposite. I thank you for your work, and can only sit and wait for more of it.